Friday, September 9, 2011

Buon Everything


The last week that I’ve been in Italy, everything is “buon” something:  Buon giornata (have a good day), buon lavoro (have a good day at work), buon scuola (have a good day at school), buon cumpleanno (happy birthday).

Speaking of birthdays, my 21st was this past Wednesday!  I must say, one of my best birthdays yet.  In the morning some of my friends bought me pastries as a birthday breakfast.  When I got to Italian class, my friends and Italian teacher surprised me with gelato (with candles on top).  This was probably the best substitute for cake I’ve ever seen.  In the afternoon we visited the town of Fiesole, situated up in the hills near Florence.  Fiesole has some fantastic ancient Etruscan and Roman ruins.  

The old theatre at Fiesole with a lovely view.  

After visiting the ancient temple, baths, and theatre, I was surprised by the ACM staff with more birthday fun and food.

I don't know what they call these things in Italy, but I just call them delicious (or creme puffs... whichever)


I almost forgot the best part!  In Fiesole there is this killer hill that you can climb up.  A couple of my program buddies and I decided to stick around Fiesole to go up to the top.  That darn thing was nearly vertical, but the climb was well worth the view. 

Soaring above Tuscany after conquering the hill.  


Upon my return to Florence from Fiesole, my host dad took my roommate and I for dinner at my host sister’s home.  There was pasta with olive oil and pepperecino for a first course, and then a sausage, bean, and potato stew over bread.  After the giant meal there was more birthday dessert; a thin tart with a lattice top and more candles.  Two wishes in one day!  Oh, and of course, it was my 21st, so there was champagne and liquor afterwards.  My host babbo is an advocate for the digestive benefits of liquor.  Usually we just have wine and water, but on this particular occassion there were several varieties of hard liqour to try.  I chose some liquorice liquor (I know it sounds weird, but it was really tasty).  My host family even bought me my first Italian scarf!  I never realized how much I missed having family dinners, especially on my birthday.  The cutest thing that happened during dinner was my host sister’s kitten (Michelangelo) cuddling up on my lap while we ate.  

Oh, and I thought I would share with you a little tip/foreign fopaux story.  In Italy, be prepared for the double cheek kiss.  If you’re not ready for it, you WILL be caught off guard and it could end in embarrassment.  It’s fairly traditional on birthdays.  My host brother tried to do it, and we almost kissed on the lips.  

I thought he was going in for a hug, and well…anyways.  The night ended with a group of ACM friends and some wine on the grass of the Piazza by the Santa Maria Novella Basilica.  Considering that the traditional American 21st birthday celebration ends over a toilette, I think this was the best possible alternative. 

The other parts of this past week consisted of more Italian class (I’m forming complete sentences now), more incredible dinners, and, of course, more gelato.  My favorite flavor so far is salted caramel.  Highlights of this week also included a visit to the Archeological Museum, walks along the Ponte Vecchio, and a trip to the Florence public library, which I hope to visit more often.  It’s a wonderful place to study.  There’s an open patio on the top floor where you can get coffee, sit and do homework.  Did I mention I've started drinking coffee here?  Not you're watered down American stuff, but the real stuff (caffe latte, espresso, cappucino).  There is also free wireless until midnight and plenty of Italian students hang out there.  When my Italian improves, I hope that I can strike up a conversation with some of the local students my age and maybe make some friends outside the program. 

First Capucinno in Pisa.


Espresso and a croissant con crema in Monterosso al Mare.  


Oh, while I’m sure none of you but my dad and close friends could know this, I absolutely hate the thought of an unpeeled peach, cooked tomatoes, and cooked cabbage.  My dad considers me a picky eater.  Guess what though?  While I’ve been here I have had cooked cabbage TWICE, cooked tomatoes, and even ate a peach (skin and all) and I have liked everything!  Oh, and the kicker?  Tonight I tried rabbit for the very first time.  Yes, a (once) furry, (once) cute, bunny rabbit.  I ate every bit of it and had seconds (just like every other meal here).  Sorry I didn’t put a disclaimer up for the vegetarians here.  No worries the rabbit didn’t die in vain.  It provided me with sustenance and energy to go to Siena tomorrow!  

At the family dinner table.  Assuming my typical eating stance.

So, starting bright and early we are catching a chartered bus leaving Florence.  There will be plenty of updates to come after this weekend I’m sure.  Feel free to ask questions or make requests about what you would like to hear about or see on this blog.  I live to please.  



             
                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment